Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Desert Island Discs

I read a book about the wonderful Mary Berry* a few weeks ago. The author mentioned her turn on a BBC Radio 4 show called Desert Island Discs, on which guests choose eight recordings they'd take with them to a desert island. Then, the podcast app on my phone stopped working. I downloaded a new app called Overcast, and, lo and behold, it has archived episodes of Desert Island Discs.

Coincidence? I think not.**

I downloaded several episodes featuring the most important people in London. Of course, I mean Colin Firth, Jeremy Irons***, and Patrick Stewart.

serious actors acting serious

Today I listened to an episode featuring the great Patrick Stewart. Having lost his hair when he was 18, he has clearly handled great adversity before and a desert island poses no great challenge. He is a very serious actor and of course, chose serious music: Benjamin Bitten, Leonard Bernstein, and Fats Waller, among others.

His voice is very soothing and English, and when I finished listening...friends, I felt smarter. I urge you all to give this podcast a listen! It really is great fun.

Do any of you have podcasts that you regularly listen to? Waiting on season two of Serial?

*I could talk about the Great British Baking Show, but really, that deserves its own post.
**Desert Island Discs was probably on my old app and I just didn't notice. Shhhhhhh.
**Jeremy Irons recorded the Westminster Abbey audio tour, so he may be the most important person in London.

1 comment:

  1. Mental note to download this podcast immediately.

    TAL is an obvious favorite, but I've been on a Radiolab kick lately, and just listened to a two-year-old episode of You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes featuring Rob Bell that made me really happy. I'm hoping to catch up on You Made It Weird - it might become a new favorite.

    ReplyDelete